Who doesn’t love to get up and go experience the world? I love to explore this beautiful world with my family. There are so many cultures (even in my own country) to appreciate. It is an essential part of my children’s education that they learn to love other cultures. So we travel and expose our children to many different types of people. Traveling to the destination should be a positive experience. Flying can be uncomfortable, but why does it have to be a hassle? Traveling can either be the best or the worst. Always make it the best experience with my airport hacks.
Here we go, just a few of my essential tips.
- DOWNLOAD THE AIRLINES APP. I always download the App of the airline I am flying and I get a digital copy of my ticket. I might lose my paper ticket, but I am less likely to lose my phone. You can open the app and pull up your ticket on the screen, or you can save the ticket as a photo in your photo library! It’s so handy! Now when they scan your ticket at security and then again to board the plane, you just have to lay your phone down onto the scanner.
- WEAR THE RIGHT SHOES. I always wear easy off shoes to the airport. Slip ons work best. I prefer closed toed shoes that have no laces or straps. Your goal is to fly through security and the best way to do that is to easily remove your shoes, scan them through the machine and slide them back on!
These amazing Steven Madden Troopa Boots have side zippers that make it easy to slip on and off!
- DON’T PACK CONTRABAND: Another way to get you through security quickly is to NOT pack anything in your bags that you shouldn’t. Don’t bring any of the following on your carry on bag: (you must check these items)
- -Any food that is liquid or liquid-like: yogurt, peanut butter, soup, jam.
- -Sporting goods: balls or accessories
- -Sharp Objects: box cutter, scissors, knives, etc.
- -Self-defense Items: pepper spray or mace
- *TIP: if you need to transport breastmilk or formula in a carry-on always let the screeners know ahead of time. They will always check your bottles with a test strip and send you on your way with your precious milk (even if its over the volume amount)
4. KEEP YOUR BATTERY CHARGED: Keep an eye out for charging stations. Most airports, even the little ones will have areas with a bunch of outlets or a high top table with outlets. There are a few airports in NY and New Jersey that provide free iPad stations for your entertainment. In this day and age, most every airport has free Wi-Fi. Don’t use up your precious data. This is perfect for charging up the iPad for the plane ride, working on your laptop, or charging your phone! Juice up, because you’ll need those devices in the air and when you land!
5. DOUBLE CHECK. And lastly, ALWAYS always check your gate. I had an experience where we waited at the assigned gate only to learn that the gate had been changed and we had 10 minutes to board the plane. We made it, of course, but in a bigger airport we might not have.
BONUS: For all my Yogi friends, I hope this list grows in the future. There are currently 10 airports that have built beautiful yoga studios inside their terminals. San Francisco, Chicago O’Hare & Chicago Midway, Dallas-Fort Worth, Burlington Vermont, Sioux Falls South Dakota, Helsinki Finland, London Heathrow, Frankfurt Germany and my own Miami International Airport. They are all free of charge and most of them are open 24hrs. This is a lovely enhancement to our travel experience. It would certainly be calming to practice a few poses before and after flights!
I hope you enjoyed reading my tips and have a better experience traveling because of it. If you are holding yourself back from traveling because you “have kids”. Stop what you’re doing and read my posts about how easy and better it is to travel with kids!
- Travel comfortably with Kids!
- Tips for Flying with Kids!
- Best ways to Entertain your Kids on a Plane! <— Coming soon