Want to download an entire meal plan for Whole30? In this download I have created a whole meal plan, recipes, printable grocery lists, pre-diet health screen and access to a Whole30 Facebook support group with over 200 members!
How can I eat out on Whole 30? Can I still go and keep to my whole30 commitment? Absolutely! I love to cook and deliver a delicious beautifully platted meal to my family and friends. But I live on Miami Beach with so many award winning restaurants, just within walking distance of my building! It’s hard to pass them up – especially if your friends text you, “Let’s do Tacos! Meet you at Bodega on 16th!” How can I pass that offer up?
Is it possible to eat Whole30 at a Restaurant?
I recently had a friend tell me that she passed up a date with “a really great guy” because she was doing the Whole30 meal plan and didn’t feel that she could go out and have a good time because of the restrictions. I wanted to take some time to outline how THAT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE! It is possible to maintain your Whole30 Journey and still go out for a delicious meal, a date, or whatever other adventure you have planned.
When to eat out on Whole30
Going out during the first week or so is difficult due to the cravings and some of the detoxing side effects that your body go’s through. But after that first week you will be feeling great! You will have more energy, reduced stress levels, and you truly feel like a rock star!
The first step to eating out is to mentally put yourself in the appropriate frame of mind. If you are past two weeks into your journey reflect on how GREAT you feel right now! Whole30 is not a “diet” in the standard definition.
Whole30 is designed to cleanse and reset your body by eliminating added sugar, dairy and GMO foods. It will reset your system and identify allergic and auto immune responses aggravated by the dairy and GMO products we consume. You are actually becoming healthier.
If you want to read more about why I chose the Whole30 diet and why it resets your body, Come read this article: 30 Reasons why I love Whole30
Lets review some of the major items that you eliminate when you follow the Whole30 cleansing plan. These are easily avoidable while out to eat.
2. Added sugar
5. Anything GMO
When you go to a restaurant, almost every place has Whole30 compliant options. Grilled or baked chicken as long as there is no soy sauce or cheese used you will be safe. Salads are safe.
TIP: Order a baked potato instead of mashed potatoes which are usually made with milk or cream. You’re always safe with veggies as a side. Clean eating is becoming more and more common so restaurants are used to making a plain grilled chicken breast to order so don’t feel trapped or locked into what is written on the menu. Grilled fish or shrimp with a side of veggies and/or roasted potatoes is often a go to meal for me when out and about.
Which popular restaurants have Whole30 Menu’s?
Now let’s look at some cheap common restaurants that are Whole30 safe!
- Subway – Build your own salads but NO meats from Subway are allowed. Best Whole30 Subway Salad
- Chipotle – Chipotle is my absolute FAVORITE place to go on Whole30! You can order a salad bowl and top it with meat, veggies, tomato salsa, and guacamole! AMAZING! Remember no corn salsa, rice, sour cream, or cheese! A great tip is that if you order your bowl without meat the Guac should be FREE!
- Panera Bread – Panera has some great salad options that are Whole30 compliant! Remember to ask for no cheese and use plain olive oil and vinegar for your dressing. On a side note the chicken marinade used has added sugar so make sure to get a salad with Hard-Boiled eggs and avocado for your protein and energy! Here is the full secret WHOLE30 menu at Panera!
- Five Guys – Yes, Five Guys burgers are compliant! As long as you order it with NO BUN. Get a double patty, no cheese or ketchup. Top it with lettuce, mustard, tomato, onion, grilled onions and you are all set! Click to Read The Perfect Five Guys Whole30 Order
- Ruby Tuesdays – Salad bar is your best friend! Many dinner restaraunts have a salad bar option. Order a grilled chicken breast or steak to have with your salad and ENJOY.
- Chili’s, Applebees and Fridays – Look for steak and chicken. Make sure to order them unseasoned and get a side of steamed veggies. Click to read the full Whole30 compliant menu at Chilis! and read the Guide to Applebee’s Whole30
Most proteins (meat, pork, chicken, fish) at a restuarant will generally be compliant. But just to be sure, always ask about how it is prepared. To stay Whole30 compliant, avoid preparation with butter, canola, corn or soy based oils.
Whole30 in Disney?
You may not now it, but I am a Disney fanatic. I love going to all the Disney parks around the world and cruising on the Disney ships. Am I able to stay Whole30 in Disney? Absolutely I am! Come take a scroll through my Whole30 in Disney Guide!
Once you are educated about Whole30, eating out will be a breeze.
Don’t turn down that date.
Get out there and enjoy life!