Any homeowner will be aware that at times, keeping your house up to standard takes a fair amount of work and time. This means that it is all too easy to forget and put off completing some home maintenance that is quite important for ensuring your property remains in great shape.
Image Source: http://pxhere.com/en/photo/1426981
There are several reasons it’s essential to keep on top of household maintenance before serious issues arise such as it helps to hold value in your home, completing small tasks takes less time than having to complete a big one if they are left and let’s not forget about the costs.
So, when is the best time to carry out these critical household maintenance tasks? Of course, it’s ideal for spreading functions around the year, trying doing it seasonally to spread the weight. Some jobs are going to be weather permitting, but others can be completed at any time.
Have a look below at some of the essential tasks you should think about completing through the year:
Summer brings the warmer weather, well if you’re lucky that is, which means it’s time to tackle problems that can only be solved when there’s little to no chance of rain such as painting or roof repairs. If you have any issues with overgrown, encroaching plant life like ivy, this is the perfect time to address this problem too, and if you leave them too long, they can begin to damage the structure of your property.
Some of the jobs you could consider looking at this summer include:
- Boiler Service – Prices can be lower, and any problems can be fixed long before the heating is needed.
- Fire Service – Use a service such as the one Capitol Chimney provide to keep your fireplace and chimney in the best working order.
- Repointing – Often, something for the professionals.
- Pest Control- The summer months are perfect for spotting problems.
As it drops cooler in the autumn, you are going to want to keep on top of areas such as clearing the leaves as they fall to prevent blockage and prepare your outside taps and drains for the winter. You main aim for this month is going to be getting your home ready for winter.
Have a look at some of these:
- Drain Cleaning- Unblock any leaves.
- Loft Insulation– If you haven’t already, it can cut fuel costs.
- Pipe Insulation- The last thing you want is frozen pipework.
It isn’t much you can do in the winter with regards to the outdoors due to the weather, you should keep an eye out for any damage that ice can potentially do to your home and then focus your efforts indoors.
You should think about tasks like:
- Checking for any leaks.
- Repairing and cleaning grout.
- Decorating – If you’re indoors, you may swell tackle the decorating you’ve been waiting to do.
- Descale your Shower
- Unblock any internal drains-It’s essential to ensure drains don’t get blocked or clogged it can cause expensive issues.
Spring is the ideal time of year to check your home following the cold months. This means looking for issues that may have been caused by the long winter months such as cracks in your exterior walls and damages to the roof, pathways and driveways. The winter tends to hide a lot, and the spring shows it.
Some tasks to think about include:
- Exterior Paintwork- Check for any cracks that need repair first.
- Damp – Has the winter caused any damp problems?
- Tidy your garden- After the winter it’s time to start tidying your outside space ready for summer.
These lists are by no means all the task that you should be keeping on top of there are many more. Is there anything that you think should be included? Please share in the comments section below.